Monday, April 4, 2016

NEST OF VIPERS Ep # 4 (B)

…following on…

15 EXT. TROPICAL GARDEN. NIGHT

STAIR and BALIN MEAS walk into the tropical garden. BALIN MEAS slides the glass door closed behind him.

BALIN MEAS 
I arrived at a difficult moment, no?

STAIR
We all grieve in our own way.

BALIN MEAS (smiles)
My friend, I do not want to hurt the feelings of Miss Angela, but I think Mr Nicholas, he owns a gun.

STAIR nods, but is disinterested; pre-occupied with the contents of the text message.

BALIN MEAS
If for his safety he feared, as Miss Angela says, if he was scared, I have to ask myself - of what or who is he scared? For his life?

STAIR
He’s dead, Meas. That’s all...(that matters.)

BALIN MEAS
All?

STAIR
I don’t mean that. (BEAT) I mean, Nick is my brother...was... but...let’s just say he was murdered...

BALIN MEAS
So you think it is possible?

STAIR
No. I mean...He’s just as dead if he was murdered as if...

BALIN MEAS
It is my job to...ask questions.

STAIR
Yes, I understand, but...

STAIR speaks fast; in something of a panic.

STAIR
Meas, have you ever been...in a situation that...where you’re trapped...you can’t escape. There is no way out and you panic and... then a way out appears...a light at the end of the tunnel and you have no choice but to run as fast as you can towards that light and hope... there is a chance...a slim chance that you can...save yourself?

BALIN MEAS nods; he understands.

STAIR
That’s me. Now. It would be too complicated to explain but...I have to get back to Hawaii. If I don’t...

He makes an explosive gesture with his hands.

BALIN MEAS
I understand some...a little...of what you say. You’re on the edge of a deep hole and if you do not make the move careful you will fall into it. (A BEAT) I know this feeling. “At the end of your tether” I think you Barang call it.

BALIN MEAS pats STAIR’S shoulder reassuringly.

BALIN MEAS
You need say no more, Mr Stair. I understand.

STAIR nods his thanks, composes himself.

16 INT. BATHROOM. NIGHT

FRANCOISE removes ANGELA’S sarong, takes her hand, leads her into the shower recess. ANGELA allows her to take control.

The distinctive ringing sound of Angela’s mobile phone (the opening bars of Beethoven’s 5th Symphony can be heard in the background.) ANGELA registers it but pays no attention.

Water pours down on ANGELA’S head and shoulders, drowning out the sound of her phone.

17 EXT. TROPICAL GARDEN. NICK’S APARTMENT. NIGHT

STAIR sits, head in hands. BALIN MEAS sits closeby.

STAIR
I owe a lot of money, Meas. A lot. And the person I owe it to wants it back. Now. And I don’t have the money. Now. In a week, I should...have it, but I might not!
(BALIN MEAS nods.)
And if I don’t, I lose... everything. More than everything.

BALIN MEAS
I understand what it is like to lose everything.

STAIR
I am this close...this close...
(He holds his thumb and index finger close)
...but I have to be in Hawaii to...make it happen.

BALIN MEAS
If you worry about this problem tonight, will this change anything?
STAIR stares at BALIN MEAS for a moment; shakes his head.

18 INT. BATHROOM. NIGHT

ANGELA, in a daze, emotionally fraught, stands under the shower. FRANCOISE, close by, reaches for a bar of soap.

19 EXT. TROPICAL GARDEN. NIGHT

CLOSE ON:
Skeletal hands clutching the steering wheel.

STAIR (V.O.)
Nick’s hands are holding the steering wheel...

STAIR, holding his iPhone, on which the photo is displayed, looks at BALIN MEAS to see if any pennies drop for him.

STAIR
...as if he had no warning that he was about to be burned to death.

BALIN MEAS thinks about this, nods, but is clearly confused as to where STAIR is going with this.

STAIR
Let’s just say the fire started in the engine.
(Balin Meas nods)
There would have been a few seconds, at least, from when the fire broke out and the gas tank exploded, right?

The penny drops for BALIN MEAS. He gestures his understanding of what STAIR is suggesting.

STAIR
And a few seconds again before the petrol containers caught fire.

BALIN MEAS nods, would like to interrupt.

STAIR
Nick would have had a few seconds, at least, to get out of the car...

BALIN MEAS
...in which case his hands would not be clutching the steering wheel.

STAIR
Precisely.

BALIN MEAS
Your theory is an interesting one, Mr Stair, but...perhaps the fire started inside the car...If Mr Nick lit a cigarette and...

BALIN MEAS makes an explosive gesture with his hands. STAIR shakes his head.

STAIR
No, that doesn’t work, Meas. His hands wouldn’t be clutching the steering wheel if he’d just lit a cigarette. (A BEAT) And Nick didn’t smoke.

BALIN MEAS
You have the makings of a good detective, my friend.

STAIR
I trained as a lawyer.

BALIN MEAS
I know. “The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.”

STAIR (laughs)
You read Shakespeare?

BALIN MEAS
In a past life.

STAIR
I must say, Meas, I never expected to meet a Cambodian policeman who could quote Shakespeare!

BALIN MEAS
Do not expect anything in my beautiful country, my friend. And expect anything.

STAIR
How do you know I am...was...a lawyer?

BALIN MEAS
It is my job to know things.
(Stair nods, smiles)
So you agree with Miss Angela that your brother’s death may not have been an accident?

STAIR
No. But I don’t disagree. (A BEAT) But...I have a few doubts.

BALIN MEAS
Without doubt we have no reason to look behind the appearance of things. We must keep the mind open.

STAIR
A policeman’s job.

BALIN MEAS
And a lawyer’s. (A BEAT) You are right, my friend, to doubt. In Cambodia nothing is ever quite as it seems to be.

STAIR (smiles)
In life.

BALIN MEAS (nods)
Indeed. My own doubts have to do with this.
(He holds the Glock pistol up; points to the base of the grip)
You see, here, the serial number? I have checked online...it was part of a batch of 200 guns bought by one buyer...

STAIR
Checked online?

BALIN MEAS
I seem to you a simple policeman, no?

STAIR
Not simple, Meas, in any sense of the word.

BALIN MEAS
You are too kind! (A BEAT)...but the name of the buyer has been...how do you say...re-d...

STAIR
Redacted.

BALIN MEAS
Redacted, yes. What is interesting is the address of the supplier. Virginia, United States of America.

STAIR doesn’t understand.

BALIN MEAS
Langley, Virginia. (A BEAT) Where the CIA has its headquarters.

STAIR holds his hands up in a familiar gesture.

STAIR
I can assure you, Meas, that there is no way, no way on earth, that my brother worked for the CIA.

STAIR’S attention is caught by ANGELA, inside, her hair wet, dressed in shorts and a t-shirt; standing in front of Nick’s Nest of Vipers collage with FRANCOISE.

ANGELA points, talks fast, traces coloured threads with her index finger. FRANCOISE nods; takes it all in.

20 INT. LIVING ROOM. NICK’S APARTMENT. NIGHT

FRANCOISE looks closely at the photo of:

The severed head of Lindsay Henderson lying in the rubbish; mouth taped shut with gaffer tape.

And then at the photo of:

Lindsay Henderson’s severed head, mouth open, resting on a metal tray, beside a shriveled penis.

FRANCOISE
I know ziz man.

She points to the photo of Lindsay Henderson, connected by a black thread to a photo of Terry Swinton.

ANGELA
You knew him?

FRANCOISE
I give ‘im massage one time. I talk to ‘im.

ANGELA
About?

FRANCOISE waves the question away, (”I can’t remember”; surveys the Nest of Vipers montage.

FRANCOISE
Is tres intéressant zis vipers nest of Neekolas!
(She nods her head.)
Tres intéressant.

ANGELA makes eye contact with STAIR through the sliding glass door as FRANCOISE takes out her smart phone.

21 EXT. TROPICAL GARDEN. NICK’S APARTMENT. NIGHT

STAIR turns back to BALIN MEAS. ANGELA and FRANCOISE can be seen in the background. FRANCOISE holds up her smart phone up to the Nest of Vipers collage.

BALIN MEAS
My friend, I am not saying your brother worked for the CIA, but...I have for you a question. If you were the CIA and recruiting spies what sort of people would you recruit?

STAIR (smiles)
The kinds of people whose friends... brothers...would say...’there’s no way my brother worked for the CIA.’

BALIN MEAS smiles; nods.

As STAIR processes this thought he looks inside; sees FRANCOISE taking photos of Nick’s Nest of Vipers montage.

BALIN MEAS opens the concertina manila file; takes a Chinese coin from one of the slots, along with a plastic bag with a fire-blackened object in it. He hands the coin to STAIR. 

BALIN MEAS
I found this. Your brother’s, I think.

STAIR nods his thanks, looks at the coin briefly, but is more interested in the contents of the plastic bag.

STAIR
And?

BALIN MEAS hands to plastic bag to STAIR. Inside:
The blackened remnants of a mobile phone.

BALIN MEAS
Mr Nicholas’ smart phone.

Most of the mobile has melted; burnt black. The small part that has not been burnt is red.
As ANGELA makes her way to the door leading to the garden, STAIR gestures to the burnt mobile phone:

STAIR
Don’t say anything about this to Angela.

He stuffs the plastic bag in his pocket.

BALIN MEAS, puzzled, nods. ANGELA slides open the door, walks up; sober and focused now.  FRANCOISE lingers inside; her eyes on the Nest of Vipers collage. 

ANGELA
OK, so Nick told me that he did not own a gun, but let’s say he lied, right? Let’s say he didn’t want me to worry about him - which I would have if I knew he had a gun, because I would have asked him why he had a gun and he would not have....

STAIR, pre-occupied with his own problems, is only half listening, which annoys ANGELA.

ANGELA
So Nick was scared...of something... when he left that morning. Really scared. Doesn’t the fact that he was scared, that he had a gun, if the gun was his, at least raise some doubt in your mind about his death being ‘accidental’?

BALIN MEAS
I have an open mind, Miss Angela. If there is a truth to be found, I will find it.
ANGELA looks to STAIR for a response. 

STAIR
I’m sure Meas knows what he’s doing.

ANGELA
I’m sure you do, Meas. It’s just... my brain is...exploding now and...
(She turns to Stair)
When was the last time you spoke to Nick?

STAIR
A couple of days ago. Very Brief. Like...60 seconds. Less.

ANGELA
Why? (A BEAT) Did you call him or did he call you?

STAIR
He called me.

ANGELA
Why?

STAIR
I don’t know.

ANGELA
What did you talk about?

STAIR
Nothing.

ANGELA
And the time before that?

STAIR
Four years.

ANGELA
Did you call him or did he call you?

STAIR glances at BALIN MEAS, whose face gives nothing away.

STAIR
Neither. We spoke.

ANGELA
‘We spoke’! About what? Why?

STAIR doesn’t want to answer; glances at BALIN MEAS again.

ANGELA
You don’t speak for four years, then the day before he... dies...he calls you out of the blue and you talk about... nothing! (A BEAT) Stair?

STAIR maintains his silence. ANGELA turns to BALIN MEAS.

ANGELA
Excuse us.

She indicates to STAIR to follow her. It is a demand; not a request. She walks back into the Living Room. STAIR follows.

22 INT. LIVING ROOM. NICK’S APARTMENT. NIGHT

ANGELA signals with her eyes to FRANCOISE that she wants to talk alone with STAIR. FRANCOISE nods, walks out into the tropical garden; joins BALIN MEAS; closes the sliding door.

ANGELA
Was Nick in some kind of trouble? Four years ago? With the police? (A BEAT) He was, wasn’t he?

STAIR
If he told you he was, I guess he was.

In the background BALIN MEAS can be seen answering his mobile; nodding as he listens.

ANGELA
You are so fucking infuriating, Stair! No, he didn’t tell me. He wouldn’t tell me. I picked up clues, asked him about... whatever it was. The police were involved. And a girl, I think. Underage. He said it was ‘nothing’. Now I am asking you. Was Nick’s ‘nothing’ the same as your ‘nothing’?

STAIR
Some sleeping dogs are best left to lie.

ANGELA 
Lie! That’s what he did. He lied. He wasn’t a good liar, Nick. He was a fucking hopeless liar! 

STAIR
Or so good you never picked it!?

ANGELA
Cunt.

STAIR
Groundhog Day.

ANGELA
Groundhog Day.

STAIR
The family dog. (A BEAT) Jasper. That’s what he wanted to talk about.

ANGELA is gobsmacked; doesn’t know what to say. The sliding door opens and BALIN MEAS appears; very apologetic. He walks in, closely followed by FRANCOISE.

BALIN MEAS
Please excuse me for intruding, but I must leave. I have some matters to attend to.

ANGELA (nods)
One last thing, Meas. Nick’s mobile phone? He had it with him. Maybe...!

BALIN MEAS
There was no mobile phone, Miss Angela. Not that we found. The heat...gasoline burns at more than 800 degrees centigrade...Now, if you will excuse me...

ANGELA
The house where the young girl Nick and I saw being led into...did you...find out anything.

BALIN MEAS
Yes, I am sorry, I forgot to tell you. It is owned by a company that is owned by a company that...it is not possible for find who owns the company in Cambodia.

STAIR
Is it possible to find where the company that owns the company that owns the company is registered?

BALIN MEAS
In the British Virgin Islands.

ANGELA’S sharp intake of breath catches the attention of  BALIN MEAS, STAIR and FRANCOISE.

STAIR looks at her questioningly. ANGELA steps closer to the Nest of Vipers collage; points at the colour photo of the British Virgin Islands with the banner headline:

“British Virgin Islands growing rich as a global tax haven.”

STAIR steps closer, looks at the photo of the Virgin Islands, traces a coloured thread back to a photo of Gerard.

STAIR
Who is this man?

ANGELA
A multi-award-winning humanitarian...

BALIN MEAS
A very good man.

A momentary grimace crosses ANGELA’S face. STAIR notices it.

BALIN MEAS
Do you mind if I take a photo of...

He indicates Nick’s Nest of Vipers montage. ANGELA shakes her head. BALIN MEAS takes a few photos of the N O V montage.

A LITTLE LATER

BALIN MEAS stands by the open front door.

NICK
Thank you, Meas.

BALIN MEAS
It is my job. (A BEAT) We will talk in the morning before you leave.

STAIR nods.

BALIN MEAS
Now, if you will excuse me.

He smiles, nods his farewell to ANGELA and FRANCOISE; walks out. STAIR turns to ANGELA

STAIR
Back in a moment.

He moves fast towards the front door.


…to be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment