Monday, June 15, 2015

# 2 SHIPS IN THE NIGHT


…following on from # 1 SHIPS IN THE NIGHT…

21 EXT. CAB. TAXI RANK. NIGHT

Looking through the windscreen at MATT, staring into space. His eyes focus on the two inch crack as it grows slowly another half inch, another inch, then stops.

The PASSENGER'S lips move but neither MATT nor the audience hears any words.  

22 INT. CAB. TAXI RANK. NIGHT

Close on MATT. Natural sound drains back in. 

PASSENGER
Can we fucking…go…!?

He indicates the ticking meter. MATT nods, checks for traffic before leaving the curb, sees TRACY across the road - arm outstretched; hitching. The group of THREE YOUNG DRUNKEN MEN closeby have spotted her.

TRACY turns, looks at MATT looking at her. She waves to him as she did before - thumb outstretched and four fingers moving, flapping up and down exaggeratedly: 'ta ta'.

Without thinking, MATT moves his hand as if to replicate the gesture but stops himself. MATT looks calmly at the PASSENGER for a long moment.

MATT
Sorry, I can't take you to Cronulla.

The PASSENGER, incredulous, looks at TRACY, back at MATT.

PASSENGER
You're fucking kidding, right!?

MATT
Sorry, but…the driver behind me…

The PASSENGER stares at MATT - who reaches across him and opens the passenger door, undoes the PASSENGER'S seat belt.

23 EXT. CITY STREET. NIGHT

TRACY watches the PASSENGER get out Matt's cab on the other side of the road, slam the door.

PASSENGER
Cunt!

MATT pulls out from the curb, prepares to do a U-turn. TRACY smiles. The PASSENGER shouts at MATT as he begins his U-turn:

PASSENGER 
Give her one for me too, arsehole!

Matt's cab pulls up alongside TRACY.

TRACY
You offering me a ride or what?

MATT 
'Long as you don't take me for one!

TRACY (excited)
Yay.

TRACY opens the front passenger door, leaps in happily.

MATT
Seatbelt.

TRACY fastens her seat belt, looks at MATT with a big happy smile. MATT drives off.

24 INT CAB. NIGHT

MATT drives. TRACY sits in the passenger seat studying him. 

TRACY
Why'd you change your mind?

MATT 
Lousy judge of character, I guess.

TRACY
Thinking I must be a 'runner' just coz I look like one?  

MATT smiles but before he has a chance to respond:

TRACY 
Or deciding maybe I'm not a liar?

MATT
Guess I'll find out soon enough.

TRACY
You get many runners?

MATT
Not too many…but…too many. Had a couple tonight.

TRACY
Two in one night!?

MATT
No, a 'couple'. As is boy and girl. About your age. Lovers.

TRACY
Lovers! What's love, ay? Ya know the answer to that one. GQ?

MATT
'Fraid not. (A BEAT) Matt.

TRACY
Complex and convoluted, ay, Matt! Love?

MATT laughs, looks at her.

TRACY 
What?

MATT (LAUGHS)
Hadn't picked you as someone who would use a word like 'convoluted'.

TRACY
Love it. con-vol-oo-ted...You know how you fall in love with particular words?
Mellifluous… love that word…sounds so…mellifluous (LAUGHS) Convolve… convolution… convolvulus…you know what that is?

MATT
Flower?

TRACY
Yes, from the Latin 'convolvere'…

MATT (incredulous)
You do Latin at school!?

TRACY
No, it's a game me and my boyfriend and I play on google - just, you know, searching randomly for…you know, when things just happen by chance. Fate. Whatever. Like you giving me a ride. Serendipity. Or me taking you for a ride!

MATT (laughs)
You got a pause button, Tracy?

TRACY
Nup, just fast forward, Matt.

The muffled sound of a rooster crowing emanates from the pocket of Matt's jacket. MATT takes it out, looks at the screen, puts it back in his pocket.

MATT
Mind if I ask you a question?

TRACY
'Long as I can ask you one.

MATT (nods)
Deal. (A BEAT) How can your dad know you all your life and not know he's your dad?

TRACY
Duh! He's a man! Clueless! 

MATT nods, smiles to himself.

TRACY 
Do passengers…like…tell taxi drivers all sorts of personal stuff? You know, like secrets and shit?  (MATT NODS) But if you had a choice, they'd keep their mouths shut, right?

MATT smiles. TRACY zips her mouth shut, pauses a moment before starting up again.  MATT looks at his watch, puts is foot on the accelerator.

TRACY 
I guess some people just like to talk about themselves, ay?

MATT
Most people… 

TRACY looks out the window thoughtfully, her forehead creased with worry. MATT watches her for a moment.

MATT 
You like to talk about yourself?

TRACY shrugs ('I don't know'), closely followed by a tentative nod ('I guess, maybe!'), closely followed by a shake of the head ('no'). MATT smiles.

MATT 
I don't know…I guess, maybe…and no?

TRACY (laughs)
Okay, yes, because I find myself pretty fucking fascinating… And no because I get bored shitless being fucking fascinated by myself.

MATT
Too much of a good thing?

TRACY
Too much of something. Way too much! You ever get, like, you know, bored with being fascinated by yourself?

MATT 
When I was young..(A BEAT) maybe.

TRACY
How old are you, Matt? (A BEAT) Old enough to be my dad, I reckon.

MATT
I'm not. (A BEAT) Your dad, I mean.

TRACY bursts out laughing. MATT smiles.

MATT 
Least I don't think I am! What's your mum's name?

TRACY
Merily.

MATT
As in merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, gently down the stream?

TRACY
But with only one r. And 'gentle's' not a word I'd use to describe mum!

MATT
Nup, don't remember any Merily.

TRACY
Can you remember all the women you've slept with?

MATT raises his eyebrows; doesn't answer.

TRACY 
Maybe there's a little Matt out there somewhere with your genes. Or a little Matilda. Wondering who her dad is. You ever think about that?

MATT shakes his head, looks of at TRACY - whose self-confident banter is now tinged with vulnerability.

TRACY 
What would you do if a young woman turned up on your front doorstep one day and said, “Hey, dad!”?… Would you be…like…all excited or would you be more like…“Oh shit!”?

MATT
A young girl like you? Woman!

TRACY bites her lip nervously, shrugs. MATT looks at her. She becomes self-conscious.

TRACY
Don't suppose you want another daughter, ay?

The muffled sound of a rooster crowing again. MATT ignores it. TRACY’S attention focuses on the ringing phone.

TRACY 
What if it's to tell you you've won Lotto? And you miss out on...?

MATT
You still at school?

TRACY
Another year or so.

MATT
Good student?

TRACY
Not 'good', but I do well in exams.

MATT
Any idea what you want to do when…?

TRACY
…I grow up. Actress. I think. Yeah… actress! Be so cool to get paid pretending to be someone else.

MATT looks at her, smiles - definitely enjoying her company now. TRACY’S next line has a flirtatious edge to it.

TRACY 
Reckon I'd make a good actress?

MATT
Yeah, but…you're so full of questions I was thinking…maybe… journalist, private eye…therapist…

TRACY (laughs)
Shrink! That'd be a joke! (A BEAT) Wanna know why?

MATT
You're going to tell me anyway, right?

TRACY laughs, looks at MATT for a moment.

TRACY
When I was 13 my mum sent me to see a therapist. I called her The Rapist. But she didn't get anywhere with me…The Rapist…so then mum sent me to see The Shrink. And she's not getting anywhere either.

MATT
Why do you need to see a shrink?

TRACY
Well The Rapist thought it was pathological and The Shrink thinks it's just obsessive-compulsive.

MATT
What is?

TRACY
I'm a nymphomaniac.

TRACY moves her hands to the front hook holding the two halves of her bustier in place.

MATT is dumbfounded.

TRACY
You can turn the meter off if you want?

She starts to unhook her bustier. MATT, in shock, is at a loss how to respond.

The beginnings of a smile appear at the edges of TRACY'S lips. When MATT glances at her, TRACY'S smile broadens and becomes a laugh.

TRACY 
I'm not a nymphomaniac. Promise. I'm a pathological liar. At least that's what The Rapist thought. The Shrink thinks its just compulsive.

MATT
There's a difference?

TRACY
Mega.

MATT
So you can't stop yourself lying?

TRACY
If I want to. It's just mostly I don't want to.

MATT
What kind of lies?

TRACY
Oh, telling taxi drivers that I've lost my wallet…that I'm a nymphomaniac.

MATT
So, you haven't lost your wallet? (A BEAT) And you're not a nymphomaniac?

TRACY
No, one of those is not a lie.

MATT
Which one?

TRACY
If I told you, you wouldn't believe me.

MATT
Because you're a pathological liar?

TRACY (grins)
Right.

MATT looks at her, smiles, shakes his head.

TRACY  
If I lived in Cronulla, would you've given me a ride even if you thought I was going to do a runner?

MATT
Probably.

TRACY
So it's not losing eighty bucks worries you most, ay?

MATT
Nah! I'm a millionaire, driving a taxi for fun…ay!

TRACY  
Lucky you got a fun-loving passenger.

MATT
Who shouldn't be out looking for fun at this time of night.

TRACY (smiles)
Yes dad! (A BEAT) So, what are you looking for late at night, GQ?

MATT
A good night's sleep.

TRACY
I guess that's an age thing. (A BEAT) Plenty of time for sleeping when you're dead, ay? You think a lot about being dead? D'ya reckon it'd be worse being boiled alive in oil or bitten to death slowly by carnivorous ants?

MATT laughs, shakes his head.

TRACY 
Or being stuck in a taxi with a motor-mouth like me?

MATT
I reckon the boiling oil'd be less painful.

TRACY laughs. Again, the muffled sound of a rooster crowing emanates from MATT'S jacket pocket.

TRACY
I don't want to be rude or nothing, but seems like you've got cock in your pocket that wants to get out

MATT  
It's a rooster.

TRACY
What ya doing with a rooster in ya pocket? (MATT LAUGHS) Ya not going to let it out?

MATT
How old are you, Tracy?

TRACY
Old enough for your to not get into trouble if you let your…rooster out!

MATT looks at her. It is difficult to read his thoughts.

TRACY 
You ever get girls…women…you know, offering to pay their fare with sexual favours?

MATT
You make a habit of talking to taxi drivers like this?

TRACY
Only when I haven't got any money to pay my fare. (A BEAT) Just joking, Matt.

MATT
You could get yourself into a lot of trouble joking like that.

TRACY
Yay! Trouble rules, ay! (A BEAT) But if I wasn't joking, would you be able to resist…the temptation? 

MATT looks at her, his face giving nothing away.

TRACY 
Has it ever happened to you? What would you do if a young woman offered…?

MATT
Don't, Tracy! You talk this way with total strangers, dressed like that…

TRACY (angry)
Stop trying to be my fucking father.

MATT holds up his hands: OK. She looks out the window, plays with her hair nervously. MATT watches her.

TRACY 
Sorry, but…I've had a shit night.

MATT
Me too.

TRACY
Bet mine was shittier than yours.

MATT
Mine's been pretty shitty.

TRACY
Even before I got in? (A BEAT) You probably think I'm mad, ay?

MATT 
As a cut snake.

TRACY
Really?

MATT 
No, a little unusual, maybe…

TRACY (delighted)
Loveable?

MATT smiles but says nothing.

TRACY 
My friends think I'm peculiar. At least I think they do, but its heaps hard to know what other people really think, ay! And just coz they say they think something doesn't mean they do, know what I mean!

MATT
Do you think you're peculiar?

TRACY (shrugs)
Don't feel peculiar. I just feel…me…

MATT
It's everybody else that's peculiar?

TRACY
Yes.

MATT nods. The muffled sound of a rooster crowing emanates from Matt's sport's jacket pocket again. 

TRACY 
Who's driving you crazy this time of night apart from me?

MATT does not want to pursue this line of conversation. TRACY zips her mouth shut, looks at the pocket of MATT'S jacket. The ringing stops. She looks at MATT'S face, his jaw clenched tight. Suddenly she leans over, reaches into the pocket of MATT'S jacket, extracts his mobile.

TRACY 
Hey, same as mine.

MATT (annoyed)
Give it to me, Tracy!

MATT reaches for his mobile. TRACY slides out of reach, holds up her mobile in one hand, Matt's in the other: Identical.

MATT (angry) 
I'm serious. Give it to me.

TRACY laughs, shakes her head, looks at the LCD screen. The smile disappears from her face. She looks at MATT. He can't hold her gaze, looks away. TRACY reads:

TRACY
'Please dad, talk to me'.

MATT'S breathing is deep, rapid.

TRACY 
That's one minute ago. This one's five minutes ago. (SHE READS)”I need to tell you something…” Hello! Juliet needs…

MATT holds out his hand, snaps angrily at her.

MATT
Give me the fucking phone…

TRACY slides further out of his reach, continues reading:

TRACY
“…something important.” Hello! Your daughter has something important to tell you in the middle of the night and you don't want to know…

MATT swerves on the road as he reaches out to grab his phone. The cab screeches to a halt. TRACY, oblivious to being thrown up against the dash when the car suddenly stops, ploughs on:

TRACY 
Twenty minutes ago. (READS) “I'm sorry I hung up on you”. What kind of a fucking father are you?

MATT, a little out of control, wrestles with TRACY to get his phone back. He succeeds, but his grip is not firm. It drops to the floor - along with Tracy's phone and her hand bag.

TRACY is shocked and hurt by this moment of anger in MATT - a moment that he is already regretting.

MATT
I'm sorry, Tracy…So so sorry…

TRACY plays nervously with her hair. Tears well in her eyes.

TRACY
What if she's in trouble?

In a highly emotional state TRACY picks her hand bag up from the floor, puts into it the items that have fallen out, including the knife.

TRACY 
What if she feels she can’t cope? 

TRACY
If she needs her daddy?

TRACY'S eyes fill with tears as she retrieves her mobile.

TRACY 
Why are you driving me home when you daughter needs you?

MATT wants to say something, but he is at a loss what! He reaches out to her. TRACY recoils, holds up her hands.

TRACY 
Fuck off!

She opens the door, gets out of the cab.

MATT
Don't! Please, Tracy!

TRACY walks away from the cab. MATT opens his door.

25 EXT. CAB. ROADSIDE. NIGHT

TRACY walks fast from streetlight into shadow. MATT runs after her, stops, calls out.

MATT
Please! I'm sorry, Tracy. I…

She stops, turns, looks at MATT from the shadows, expecting something. MATT shakes his head. He has no understanding of what is going on. He is in unchartered emotional territory.

MATT 
I don't know...I'm so fucking...I don’t know...lost!? I even thought of asking…but no I can… 

MATT looks at TRACY, immobile in the shadows. Frozen. The silence is deafening. Then the soft sound of TRACY crying.

MATT 
Tracy?

He takes a tentative step towards her. Then another. He is close to her now. She looks up at him, her eyes filled with her need. She leans toward MATT. He opens his arms. She falls into them, holds him tight. MATT'S face is a battleground of emotions. Suddenly TRACY yelps like a wounded animal, pushes him away, turns and run off. MATT shouts after her.

MATT 
Please…Juliet…

She is gone. MATT stands alone in the dark, shaking. He tries to control his deep rapid breathing; puts his wounded hand on his heart, sees that his knuckles are bleeding again.

He wipes his moist eyes, walks back to the cab, around to the driver's side, looks at the crack in the window. It has grown a couple of inches and now has three small branches, tributaries. He looks at his watch, lets out a deep frustrated sigh; looks out into the darkness for a long moment; reaches into his pocket for his mobile. It is not there.

MATT remembers, moves to the open passenger door, reaches down and picks it up from the floor.

He opens the keypad, types 'J', then 'U', pauses. Nothing happens. He types 'L', pauses, then 'I'. He is puzzled now.

The mobile in his hand rings but it is not the crowing of a rooster. It is the distinctive sound of Tracy's mobile – a corny love song. MATT presses the appropriate icon. Onscreen, the frozen image of:

Red-headed Blue, his hands joined to conceal his genitals.

The frozen image comes to life.

BLUE
Babe!

He opens his arms wide, revealing a codpiece in the shape of an elephant's head - replete with big ears and, of course, a trunk!

BLUE 
Love you heaps!

26 INT CAB. FAST FOOD OUTLET. NIGHT

MATT drives into the parking lot of a late night fast food outlet.

27 EXT. FAST FOOD OUTLET. NIGHT

MATT pulls up in the parking lot, gets out of his cab, looks towards the entrance - around which young MEN and WOMEN eat hamburgers etc.

Tracy's mobile rings. He takes it out, looks at the screen: unknown caller. It is Serena. She laughs. 

SERENA'S VOICE
So who's a cradle snatcher, then?

MATT grimaces, glances at his watch.

MATT
Shit! Sorry. There's been…I’m going to be…

MATT and SERENA talk over the top of each other.

SERENA'S VOICE
Sounds like she's about 13!

MATT
She called you…!?

SERENA'S VOICE
No, I called you…stupid enough to believe you might, maybe, this one time, on my birthday…

MATT
Sorry, I should have called and…

SERENA'S VOICE
… on my birthday. My 40th fucking birthday…

MATT
…if you'll just calm down for a sec.

There is an incoming call on Tracy's mobile.

SERENA'S VOICE
Okay, I'm calm. Totally calm. Explain! How's your hand? Were you in a fight?

MATT looks at the screen: mum

MATT
Serena, sweetheart, just gotta put you on hold for a moment and…

SERENA'S VOICE
Don't 'sweetheart' me, Matt. I'm…

MATT
I'm putting you on hold, okay?

SERENA'S VOICE
Okay.

MATT presses the appropriate key. Tracy's mother's voice is heard - angry and worried at the one time.

MERILY'S VOICE
Darling, have you any idea what time it is? 

MATT
Hi Merily, this is not…

MERILY'S VOICE
Who is this? 

MATT
My name's Matt, Merily. I'm a taxi driver…

MERILY'S VOICE
How do you know my name's Merily?

A taxi pulls up close to the entrance to the fast food outlet.

MATT
Tracy told me.

MERILY'S VOICE
Who's Tracy?

MATT
Your daughter.

BLUE gets out of the taxi.

MERILY'S VOICE
Tracy! My daughter's name's Britney.

BLUE walks quickly in through the entrance to the fast food outlet.

MERILY'S VOICE 
Did she tell you it was Tracy? 

MATT tries to remember where he has seen BLUE before.

MERILY'S VOICE 
Hello, hello, have you got Brit with you?

MATT
She's OK, Merily. She left her mobile in my cab and I'm meeting her in five minutes to give it back to her. Then I'll drive her home, okay?

MERILY'S VOICE
But…

MATT
I've got another call on hold Merily, so…I'll call you right back in…?

MERILY'S VOICE
No, I want you to…

MATT presses 'call waiting', cuts her off.

MATT
Serena, you there…

Silence. MATT tries, without success, to access 'call waiting'. Tracy's distinctive mobile ring is heard: unknown caller: MATT presses the appropriate icon.

TRACY'S VOICE
Hey, Matt…I'm running a bit late. Something came up. Sorry for schitzing out on you like that. Like a cut snake, ay! It's just…something happened yesterday that grossed me out big time… (A BEAT) I guess you don't really want to know about it, ay?

MATT
I just want to get my mobile back and go home…

TRACY'S VOICE
Serena's really pissed off, ay? 

MATT
Yes, and she's going to be more pissed off if I don't get to her place soon. 

TRACY'S VOICE
It's not what you think, I don't think.

MATT
What's not?

TRACY'S VOICE
What Serena's pissed off about.

MATT
I need to get Juliet's phone number from you. Now.

TRACY
Did you hear what I just said?

MATT
Yes, but…just give me Juliet's phone number will you?

TRACY'S VOICE
No worries, I'll just put you on hold. Hang on a tick. 'Big Brute.'

Tracy's laughter is heard. MATT, embarrassed, shakes his head.

MATT
She told you that!?

TRACY'S VOICE
Yeah, but she didn't tell me if the 'big' part of it refers to your waist…or your…rooster ?

MATT
Juliet's phone number! 

TRACY'S VOICE
Hey, Juliet's cool and…You didn't tell me you were captain of the Roosters…Hang on.

TRACY has put MATT on hold. He is trying to make sense of what Tracy has just said. She comes back online.

TRACY'S VOICE 
It's none of my business, Matt, but you really should know your own daughter's phone number. You got a pen?

As he takes a ball point pen from his pocket:

MATT
Hang on, Tracy, how do you know Juliet is 'cool'?

TRACY'S VOICE
I just talked to her on the phone and looked her up on Facebook, and...now we’re friends. (A BEAT) Facebook friends. Oh, and she sent me that photo of you. Hey, you were good looking when you were young.

MATT
Photo? What photo? What did you talk about?

TRACY'S VOICE
Just girl stuff. Hey, and Serena's a real character too, ay? A woman with balls. The number is…

MATT
What did you and Serena…?

TRACY'S VOICE
You want Jules' number or what? Big Brute?

MATT
Okay, fire away.

MATT readies the pen to write it on the back of his hand.

MATT 
Incidentally, your mother called.

TRACY'S VOICE
My mother called you?

MATT
No, she called you…Worried. You should call her and let her know you're OK. 

TRACY'S VOICE
You didn't talk to her, did you? (A BEAT) You did, didn’t you? (A BEAT) What did you talk about?

MATT
Just parent stuff. (A BEAT) Britney!?

There is a long moment of silence.

MATT 
Tracy…Britney…(A BEAT) Hello…

TRACY'S VOICE
She is such a bitch. I am going to call her. Fuck her!

TRACY hangs up. MATT is left standing, pen in hand, hovering above his wrist. He presses the appropriate icon on the mobile, hears his own voice:

MATT'S VOICE
Matt's voice here. Not to be mistaken for…

He hangs up, makes another call, gets Serena's message bank.

SERENA'S VOICE
'Serena here, but I'm not here, but if you leave…'

MATT terminates the call. His attention is caught by BLUE emerging from fast food outlet, hamburger in hand.

MATT remembers where he has seen Blue before. He looks at the screen of Tracy's mobile. He is not sure how to navigate the menu but eventually finds what he is looking for. Onscreen:

BLUE, his hands joined to conceal his genitals. The frozen image comes to life.

BLUE
Babe!

He opens his arms wide, revealing a codpiece in the shape of an elephant's head - replete with big ears and a trunk!

BLUE 
Love you heaps!

BLUE grins, begins to recite:

BLUE 
Now I have you
And you have me
Our troubles all
Are gone you see.

MATT looks from the mobile screen to BLUE, 20 feet away, eating his hamburger. MATT looks back at the mobile screen:

BLUE 
Love it was
from the start
we'll be together
Till death we part.

BLUE grins again.

BLUE
Love you, babe.

MATT is in the process of joining the dots when he notices GBH's purple 'pimped out' car, seen in the opening sequence, pulling off the main road, into the fast food outlet.

MATT looks back to where BLUE was standing at the entrance but he is no longer there. He looks around, sees BLUE hiding behind a hedge, peering furtively at:

The purple sedan pulling up outside the fast food restaurant entrance. GBH gets out of the car, scans the interior through the windows, then the parking lot looking for Blue.

MATT shakes his head, can't help but smile. He punches numbers into his mobile. Serena answers.

SERENA'S VOICE
I wonder who is calling at this hour?

MATT
Sorry, I don't know what happened there. You know me and mobiles.

SERENA'S VOICE
Oh, ‘the Brute!’ 

MATT
You told Tracy?

SERENA'S VOICE
I was pissed off! It slipped out.

MATT looks back at BLUE, whose hand is now cupped over the mouthpiece of his mobile phone, talking urgently and with his eyes on GBH. BLUE hangs up, disappears from view.

MATT
I'll be there in half an hour, OK?

SERENA'S VOICE
Yeah, right!

Tracy's mobile announces an incoming calls.

MATT
Forty minuters, max. Promise.

SERENA'S VOICE
That'll be your 13 year old. (A BEAT)  If I had a dollar for every time… 

MATT
Hey, I don't have much choice here…

SERENA'S VOICE
No, you've chosen not to have any choice.

MATT
Hey, I'm not one of your clients…

SERENA'S VOICE
What are you, Matt?

MATT
This is not the best time to have this conversation?

SERENA'S VOICE
No, of course not! See you when I see you. Christmas maybe!

Serena hangs up. MATT takes the new call. TRACY in a panic:

TRACY'S VOICE
Matt, can you give Blue a ride?

MATT
Who's Blue? The guy with red hair!?

TRACY'S VOICE
Yeah. It's kinda urgent…

MATT
No. Tracy, fuck! I just want my phone back.

TRACY'S VOICE
He's gunna get the shit beaten out of him…

MATT 's patience has totally run out.

MATT
Not my problem, Tracy. I need Juliet's phone number. Now, Tracy!

MATT hears a low whistle and then a loud whisper.

BLUE (off screen)
Hey Matt…

MATT looks around. BLUE is crouched by the passenger door of his cab, beckoning him.

MATT
What the…!

BLUE opens the door from a crouching position and slides into the passenger seat, his head down, out of view. MATT forgets about Tracy, lowers the mobile.

TRACY'S VOICE
Matt? Matt!

MATT moves fast to his cab, opens the passenger door.

MATT
Out!

BLUE, 17, his face covered with freckles, tries to smile.

BLUE
I'm Blue. Tracy's Blue. She said…

MATT
Don't give a fuck whose Blue you are! Out!

BLUE
Bro!

MATT
I'm not your fucking bro, Blue! Out! Get the fuck out of my cab! Now!

BLUE gets out reluctantly. MATT walks around to the driver's side, opens the door, drops into the seat, slams the door behind him - drawing the attention of GBH, SPIDER and his OTHER MATE.

28 INT. CAB. NIGHT

Through the cracked windscreen MATT sees GBH (talking on his mobile), SPIDER and his OTHER MATE up by the entrance. They have spotted BLUE and are heading towards him. MATT turns the ignition on, engages the gears, looks from BLUE, frozen in terror, to GBG, SPIDER and his OTHER MATE approaching. He mutters under his breath:

MATT
Run, ya silly fucker!

GBG, SPIDER and his OTHER MATE are just ten meters away when MATT leans over, opens the passenger door and shouts at BLUE.

MATT 
Get in.

BLUE leaps in. MATT activates the locks. GBH, SPIDER and his OTHER MATE are in front of the cab now, blocking MATT'S escape. Standoff!

MATT looks in the rear vision mirror. No escape route behind!

GBH gives instructions to SPIDER his OTHER MATE. They move to the passenger door, try to open it. No luck.

GBH, mobile hand, gestures to MATT that if he unlocks the door, gives up BLUE, GBH will get out of the way; let him drive off.

MATT shakes his head calmly. GBH snarls at MATT, raises his fist aggressively. MATT puts a lot of effort into not responding but the temptation is too great. He eventually flips a bird at GBH, who then recognizes MATT and flies into a rage.
GBH (screams)
You're dead motherfucker!

SPIDER and the OTHER MATE at Blue's window try to force the door open.  BLUE is scared shitless.

MATT revs the engine, gestures to GBH his intention to drive forward; that GBH should get out of the way. 

GBH 
You slimy fucking thieving weasel piece of shit cunt…

With the clutch pressed down, MATT revs the engine; shouts:

MATT
If you don't get out of the fucking way…

MATT indicates with his fingers: 5-4-3

MATT 
Five, four, three…

MATT releases the clutch, jolts forward a few feet, bumps GBH backwards. GBH's anger ramps up further. He hurls his mobile at MATT. It explodes into fragments as it bounces off the window. GBH is apoplectic now.

SPIDER and the OTHER MATE join him in front of the taxi.

MATT finishes his finger countdown: 2-1, shakes his head (“I warned you!”), puts his foot on the accelerator, drives fast backwards about five meters, shifts gears, drives straight at them.

GBH, SPIDER and the OTHER MATE leap out of the way.

…to be continued…




No comments:

Post a Comment